Wednesday, August 4, 2010

On Wisconsin!


Our day began with our departure from Sister Bay. Realizing we had spent three days driving around Lake Michigan without ever actually touching it, we stopped in Fish Creek (first town south of Sister Bay) and tested the waters. Surprisingly warm. Walked around Fish Creek, then tooled on down to Egg Harbor where I did my part to support the local economy (a rug and a beautiful blown glass vase should be on their way to Rockville by the end of the week). Charming little resort towns surrounded once again by deep, soothing forests. Here's a little video we shot as we drove along.

Stopped in Sturgeon Bay for a lovely lunch. Along the streets they have various sturgeon fish public art pieces on display, all different interpretations kind of like the pandas they did in DC a few years back.



From there we started heading inland, past Green Bay (photo above), through very boring stretches of land made only slightly less dull by listening to Eat, Pray, Love. I am sorry to report that hearing the book is nearly as off-putting as reading it, something I tried several years ago and gave up on. We've made it through "Eat" and are now praying that it improves.


Soon enough, we caught sight of the state capitol looming ahead. We made our way around the building, through more construction than I've ever seen in any city in my life, and found a hotel.

We had yummy Arabic dinner at Lulu's, which I'd highly recommend. It was a lovely little neighborhood bistro where our Palestinian waiter helped direct us to the campus to visit the student union, per Andrea's direction.

If you've wondered why I decided to go to Madison, it's for just this reason. My brother went off to UW after high school, where he met and married Andrea. It has always seemed like a very important spot in our family's history and I've always wanted to see it for myself. So for me and for my bro and his wonderful wife, here are some pictures of the Rat!

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are having fun! Isn't Door County great? Looking forward to Friday :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just want you to know that I have made this blog a part of my every morning routine and it is something that I look forward to reading every day! I am living vicariously through you both :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How goes it with "Eat Pray Love"? I think it improves after Italy a lot, although I emjoyed the whole thing. Even more so now that I am picturing the galant character she meets in Bali as Javier Bardem :) Eager to see the movie. See you in LA! Vicki

    ReplyDelete