Sunday, August 22, 2010

I've Reached the Other Coast



Arriving for my course in LA I feel like an astronaut returning to earth (or at least what I think I would feel like if I were an astronaut) – after miles and miles (5608.3 since leaving home, to be exact) of driving around the country, here I am, honing in on landing at the Radisson LAX in time to begin my course.

Turns out the course starts at 10AM while I thought it was 9AM, so I’m early, which is a good thing. It gives me some time to wrap my head around not being on the road, not thinking about the next destination and the logistics involved, and not chewing over the day ahead. For the next two days (during which time I will most likely be taking a hiatus from the blog) someone else is in charge.


The stay in Hemet provided a perfect transition. We arrived on Thursday and had a wonderful, relaxed day on Friday. The most driving I did was to move my car out of the driveway so Ed could pull out the car and then re-park mine in the blessed shade of the garage. (Please note how immaculate this garage is. I've never seen such a neat and tidy space in which to park a car!)

We headed to Carlsbad to meet some friends of Bonnie’s for brunch at the Tip Top. Traveling from desert to desert by the ocean during the parched, dry summer season does not make for pretty scenery. Occasionally the hills were dotted with avocado groves, but they weren’t close enough to the road for me to snap. And let’s face it: I’ve been driving for so long and relying on someone else to take pictures that I forgot to shoot a lot of pictures yesterday!


Arriving at the restaurant, Noel and Carol Peck were already waiting for us. We ordered and all sat down to the most ridiculously obscene egg and meat fest conceivable. I think it’s called Big John’s and it’s what happens when you tuck a restaurant into a world-famous meat store. 


It’s eggs AND bacon AND ham AND three kinds of sausage. Oh, and marvelous hash browns and a mountain of toast. I think you can even go back for seconds but none of us could even finish our first serving.


Noel and Carol (above) invited us back to their place and I’m really sorry to say that I completely forgot to take a few photos. Shame on me! We sat in the shade on their beautiful back patio, sipping wine and chatting, surrounded by roses, palm trees, blooming vines that I can’t name, assorted other blossoms, a softly gurgling fountain, and the alluring sight of their pool. It was like what you imagine when you're in a meditative trance!


Eventually we tore ourselves away (but not before Bonnie had enjoyed a spin on Noel’s Harley which he and Carol have taken to Sturgis many a time). After all that indolence, it was time to get to work, which I did: securing a reservation at the Bellagio in Las Vegas for David’s and my first night on the road, checking email, and finishing up my homework for this weekend’s course, all in the serene comfort of Lorna’s office (which I had completely upended in order to plug in and use my computer and assorted other electronics).

Summoning all the energy we could to overcome the inevitable inertia brought on by warm afternoon temperatures, wine, and seductively comfortable surroundings, we headed out for dinner at Jalapenos, a local dive that is part of the tradition when Bonnie visits. Again, I apologize for neglecting to snap a photo or two. In spite of all that I’d eaten earlier that day, I managed to consume wonderful steak, chicken and shrimp fajitas. Fortunately I stopped just short of exploding!

After dinner we drove back to Ed and Lorna's community, parked, and walked around the community center. You would easily mistake it for the facilities of a world class resort – everything from classrooms to a full scale gym to an indoor pool and hot tub to an outside pool and hot tub to an immaculate lawn area with its own shaded lounge area with working fireplace. The grounds looked like they are snipped daily with manicure scissors, the air was balmy with just the right breeze, and it felt good to walk around for a few minutes.

Back at home, the packing and organizing began. Somehow Lorna, Bonnie, and I turned it into a session of non-stop hilarity, absolutely cracking ourselves up and giggling like 10-year-olds. What a fun way to end my visit!

Bless Lorna’s heart, she was up at 5:30 with me, making me more peameal bacon for breakfast (and a sandwich for the road, in case the famine should strike between Hemet and Los Angeles which, I’m delighted to report, did not in fact occur). Like the gentleman that he is, Ed loaded up my car, and off I went. That's a picture of them below.


Thank you so much, Ed and Lorna. I wished I could stay forever and just bask in your hospitality. You made me feel so incredibly welcome and such a part of your family. I loved sinking into that sumptuous leather sofa and watching football with Ed on that big, beautiful screen (oh to be able to watch the Skins today, but that’s not to be). Your home is not just perfectly decorated, it oozes with love and kindness and showers visitors with warmth and comfort, all seemingly without effort. What an experience!

And thanks to Bonnie, my fun and funny companion of the last week. She always has a great lotion or potion to share. Her enthusiasm for any and everything makes every day an adventure. And she teaches me about caring for others by her sterling example.  

3 comments:

  1. Hi Susan: Sounds blissful, comforting and just what the doctor ordered. Have a great weekend at the Partnership Course. Will look forward to your incites and sharing. Love, Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go eat Cuban food at Versailles on Motor Blvd in Venice. Back in the day, the long lines on Sunday's included British rockers with stapled noses and church going folks all waiting for what was then the best value dinner in LA. Hard to beat either the garlic chicken or barbecue sauce chicken and beans and fried plantains.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like home away from home!

    ReplyDelete