Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Fun in Faulkner Country


I'm sitting and enjoying breakfast, the play of the morning sun in the backyard, and Lisa's generous hospitality here in Oxford. It's so delightful to be here that I almost don't mind leaving David behind in New Orleans and setting off on my last week of adventure.


It was (finally) sunny when we woke up yesterday morning in Nola. After packing up (me to leave, David to move to another room at the St. Pierre), David and I walked over to Frenchmen Street for a final food fest.


Here's what we had, from the "Benedict" portion of the menu: eggs Marigny, which is fried green tomatoes topped with poached eggs, artichoke remoulade, and hollandaise; and eggs Atchafalaya, topped with crawfish and creamed spinach, two poached eggs, and hollandaise sauce. OMG!

For the sake of my waistline, I had to get out of this town. We walked back along beautifully dappled streets, trying to avoid the hot sun. Mary, this shot's for you.


One very amusing aspect of New Orleans is how often you come across the tattered remains of someone's revelry.



And then, as the lump grew in my throat, I said goodbye to David and headed for Mississippi.

The GPS sent me on I-10 west. Somehow, after days of driving that road, it just unsettled me to be back on it and going in the "wrong" direction. Fortunately, I noticed on the map that I was near the Lake Ponchatrain Causeway. I headed onto that and enjoyed the 22-mile cruise along the water.


On the other side, I passed up the chance for companionship by not picking up a hitchhiker. (I had another opportunity later that I also skipped.) Instead, I settled in for the five-hour drive with Max for company.


Storm clouds appeared intermittently all day and there were periods of quick, torrential rain, some clear sailing, and occasional drips and drizzles. It was enough to have me keep the top up all day.

Not too much to say about the scenery except how green and lush it looks. Here are two photos of the view from I-55, three hours apart.



I did notice that it seems to be a requirement in Mississippi (and perhaps Louisiana) that your car have a cracked front windshield. I swear, I've never seen so many!

And then it was off the interstate, down a more charming road, and into Oxford. Bebe, Lisa's youngest, greeted me and entertained me until her dad, Richard, arrived.


Lisa appeared shortly and the party began. Drinks, delicious jambalaya and salad, friends over to celebrate their birthday, a walk into town for a drink, and then back home, all with lots of chatting.


Their home overflows with books and assorted collections of mementos, children's artwork, Persian carpets, photos, and all the other artifacts of a busy life. It couldn't be more cozy or comfortable and it's going to take all the discipline I've got to push on to Memphis today.

2 comments:

  1. Great to see Lisa on her home turf.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leaving a son but gaining the almighty Lisa, that's a good thing!

    ReplyDelete