Sunday, September 5, 2010

What a Ride!!!


Consider this the acknowledgements blog. I'm not sure it took a village to make this trip happen but it was definitely more than just my doing.

First off, I have to thank all of you who read and commented on the blog. You really made it worth my while and can't begin to know how much I appreciated your suggestions, reactions, and encouragement. It's ben especially gratifying to hear that perhaps you've been inspired -- to try a blog yourself, to plan a similar trip, or to reach for your own dreams. Do it! This trip so far exceeded my expectations and the memories will truly last a lifetime. I wouldn't have all the details of the whole trip to ruminate over had I not kept writing for all of you.

Next, I couldn't have hit the road for five weeks were it not for Mary and, especially, Shelley backing me up at Sharp & Company. Mary encouraged me to undertake the trip and kept after me to make it happen, assuring me that the office would be fine without me. Miraculously, in May of 2009 Shelley joined our little enterprise and over the last year learned to do pretty much everything I do (except create new problems for everyone). Shelley kept her hand on the tiller and ably steered things so I could galavant about the country. Thank you more than I can possibly express.

Fahim and Shelley, thanks for looking after the girls and the house. I came home to find everything and everyone flourishing.



And then there are my incredible companions on this journey: Monica (2155 miles), Debra (1932 miles), Bonnie (1375 miles), and David (2200 miles and the only other person to drive). Each of you made this a special and particular experience and enabled me to take five trips in one. To any of you who may be considered a similar undertaking, this is the way to go. I found different aspects of myself with each of you and relish your infallible cheer and willingness to go anywhere and try anything.

To those of you who provided relief from the endless hotels -- Richard, Doug, Lorna and Ed, and Lisa, and Ruth -- thank you for taking me into your home and providing fun and relaxation (not to mention laundry facilities and car care). Those visits, along with Jim and Debbie rearranging their trip to Michigan to meet up in LaCrosse, made the trip wonderfully personal. A special shout out to Doug for providing the perfect meteor shower experience. I'll never forget that!

Lastly, to the unsung hero of this whole trip -- my wonderful car. Whether it was zipping along the interstate or winding along a mountain road, catching the rays with the top down or snugly enclosed, the car took it all in stride. No drama, no difficulties, no breakdowns. This morning, after a refreshing run through the car wash, it looks like it never left town.

23 hotels (I'm pretty sure), 5 friends' guest rooms, and many, many, calories later, it's back to reality. Thanks for taking this trip with me.

4 comments:

  1. Oh no, the blog can't be over. I have become addicted to reading about your life everyday. A novel, chapter by chapter. Please say you will keep it up.

    xxxooo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to have you back Susan!

    Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you coax David to go those extra 45 miles just to trump Monica?

    If Shelley has learned pretty much everything except how to create new problems for everyone, it sounds like you need to do a bit more mentoring before your next trip ;)

    ReplyDelete