Saturday, September 4, 2010

Home Again, Home Again, Jiggity Jog


Max and I have made it home. I'm happy and I'm sad. But first, the day.

After a great night's sleep, we rolled out of Ruth's to visit the Lewisburg farmer's market.


It was a cool, crisp morning -- less than 60 degrees when we left the house! Here's Ruth, KB, and David at the market.


And here's Jeff, selling his amazing bread.


I loaded up on tomatoes, peaches, apples, and some other vegetables. Also picked up some Lewisburg honey to try. Everyone knows everyone and they all stop to chat and catch up. It's very comfortable and cozy.

Ruth and I then headed over to the General Lewis Inn for brunch. This has become our tradition and why stop now!?


We had delicious vegetable omelettes with biscuits, my last taste of sin before I mend my evil ways. It was wonderful to spend some one-on-one time with Ruth, something I rarely get to do. For those of you who don't know, Ruth was my mom's best friend and our families spent every holiday together. She was also the other half of my parents' beach place so there's a lot of history and she's like a mother to me. So having some time together to share how life is, how the trip was, and any and everything else was quite special and a nice transition to returning home.



And then, after some more visiting with Ruth, KB, and David, it was time to hit the road. It was a glorious day.


In 15 minutes I was crossing into Virginia. Surprised, I quickly managed this snap.


I'm embarrassed to say that the car by now was so chock full and disorderly that I drove home with the top up. I just didn't have the energy to reorganize!


Well, heck, you all know what Virginia looks like, right? So I'll skip the photos and just say that I-81 was surprisingly truck and traffic free, making the ride much nicer than I was anticipating. Even I-66 wasn't bad. I think my timing -- late afternoon right in the middle of the holiday weekend -- worked in my favor.

And then I snapped the last state sign of the trip.


And before I knew it, I was rolling down Nelson Street and into the driveway. 9237.3 miles and 5 weeks later, I was back home.

I leave you tonight with this sight, the contents of the car emptied out into the family room, being checked out by Mischka and Mello. You can imagine what tomorrow will be about!


One more wrap up entry tomorrow. I'm too tired and it's all a bit too fresh to do tonight.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you are home safe - great trip for those of us vicarious travelers.

    ReplyDelete