Saturday, September 4, 2010

Just When You Think You've Seen It All


Who'd have thought an extraordinary example of contemporary architecture would be in the middle of horse country? Or that one of the most fun interstate drives would be in West Virginia? That was my day yesterday, beginning in Lexington and ending in Lewisburg.

Phillip picked me up promptly at 9 and we stopped in a funky neighborhood spot for fortifying cups of coffee. Then he drove me through several neighborhoods, explaining their histories, pointing out interesting features, and generally sharing his encyclopedic knowledge of the area. We drove a bit out of town, off the highway along a narrow road, and suddenly we were in a (literally) forsaken gated community. And there, suddenly, stood the Miller House, a stunning home designee by Jose Oubrerie, a protege of Le Corbusier. Its strong concrete, steel, and glass geometry plays beautifully against the natural environment.


You can even enjoy nature while soaking in the steel step-down bath!


The interior space, a series of pods, soars up four (I think) stories. The sense of upward sweep is like that of cathedrals.


Here's Phillip outside, no doubt putting another deal in motion.


He's a gifted artist and talented promoter and it was a privilege that he gave me so much of his time and attention.

We drove back into Lexington, admiring several of the horses that are placed around town as part of a public arts project. Here's the one he did.


It's a project like the pandas were in DC or the I-don't-remember-what in Chicago. Artists are commissioned to do these and they are displayed for about six months. Then they will be auctioned off to raise money for the arts. Phillip is actually prouder of the piece he did for the ballpark -- a parking meter that automatically contributes to the arts. Neat guy.

After doing my part to support the local economy courtesy of a great shop Phillip steered me into, I was off to Lewisburg.

I was surprised at how beautiful the drive was. Open land began giving way to rolling hills.



By the time I reached West Virginia, I was climbing.




The stretch of road from Charleston to Beckley is a marvel of twists and turns as it works its way through the hills (I think I used to call these mountains but after driving through Wyoming and Utah I've reconsidered). I had the fortune/misfortune of hooking up with a pick-up truck driver who obviously knew his way and together we endeavored to set a new land speed record through the curves and climbs. What fun!! And no ticket!!! (If I can make it from Lewisburg to DC without a ticket it will have been a testimony to enforcement cutbacks. That's my only explanation.)

I arrived at Ruth's at 5 on the dot, just in time for us to sit for a minute and regroup on dinner. KB and David are staying with her, which was a delight for me since I can't remember the last time I saw them. And Lauren, Jeff and their kids (Sam and Jules) joined us for dinner in spite of needing to finish packing to leave for Oregon in the morning.



Photos were taken before Lauren and Jeff arrived. I'll try to remember to take some more this morning if we see them.

This is the perfect transition to home. I got to return from dinner and put on my sweats and sit around, something I've hardly done at all this trip. It felt good to nestle into Ruth's living room and chat with her and KB.

No comments:

Post a Comment